*As a pastor for 25+ years I've always told couples that the most important thing is not the symbols and the trendy mini-rituals but the words you speak. The heart of the event is the promises you make and your intent to keep them.
* We weren't big on the idea of unity candles or sand or what have you. We decided to record our marriage in a big family Bible during our ceremony, had our best man and MOH and pastor sign it and all. It was a symbol of our marriage being not just a contract between us, but a covenant between us and the Lord and an establishment of our new family. Our pastor gave a schpiel about how the births of our children (first one due in February! :-) and grandchildren would be recorded in it, etc. It was deeply meaningful to us and a lot of our guests commented on how unique and meaningful it was to them, too!
*How about ditching all the trendy sub-ceremonies and just doing some vows that you actually intend to uphold. Your guests will thank you for the short ceremony. My wedding was 15 minutes from walk in to walk out and involved many of our quirks including my husbands love of video games and my love of DeLoreans.
*So my traditional, Christian ceremony wasn't as meaningful as ones that include these? Interesting.
*"Another couple had each saved the shirt they wore on their first date four years ago" Interesting. How did they both know in their first date that they should save their shirts? If my husband had said to me on our first date "Save this shirt. We're going to need it when we get married in 4 years." I'd think he was nuts.
*You can make it more meaningful by making it a gay marriage and throwing it in the faces of those pathetic morality pushing bible thumpers. The backlash would be entertaining enough.
*How about more time invested into making your relationship/ marriage meaningful and less time bragging on social media about all the things you're planning for your wedding.
*The Christian tradition is all about the incorporation of the community, and having the community bless the new couple. Especially the group blessing - the pastor performing the ceremony is speaking on behalf of the congregation. None of this is new.
*Weddings have become lavish, competitive theatrical performances instead of solemn promises made before God and family. No wonder most end in divorce.
*Weddings are meaningful? I thought they were just expensive parties.
*My groom and I took Holy Communion just prior to our vows, to me it said, "we start this life sin free"....he cheated within two years...but I don't regret the Communion, I held up my vows.
*Your wedding is more meaningful because you custom mix beer? The rest I can go for but this one stood out like a sore thumb.
A meaningful wedding has nothing to do with how much you spend. You won't have a better marriage because you wore the perfect dress, stressed over the catering, chose the right DJ or brought in an expensive hair dresser. A meaningful wedding is lovely but the proof comes later.
*I prefer a small wedding with one person standing up next to each of us and just immediate family and close friends attending. Personally, I'd love to get married in my back yard - it's beautiful in the landscaping!
I'll walk the aisle by myself. Both my parents are in their 80s and I haven't lived under their roof for almost 30 years, so I'm giving myself to my groom.
My groom/I will pay for the wedding ourselves.
No tossing of the bouquet and garter, and not crawling up under my dress to get the garter.
I'd prefer to spend our first night together in our own home. There's just something rather...oogie to me that there have been all sorts of people doin it in the bed of wherever we'd stay. Pull the shades, put a "DON'T YOU DARE DISTURBE US!" sign on the door and we'd never have to worry about early checkout! :-)
Writing our own vows to each other. How can I vow such personal and important things to a man who is becoming my husband and me his wife if it's all words that have been recited by millions before us? I also think writing your own vows really makes couples stop and consider their marriage and what they are promising their spouse.
*I vote none of the above. Weddings have gotten blown way out of proportion as far as costs and creativity. Weddings aren't about Pinterest BS or showing off for everyone you know. It's about the relationship and commitment... everything else is unnecessary. My fiance and I will be having a simple ceremony and a great meal with only our closest family and friends, and those that want to see pictures will have to ask rather than just seeing them on Facebook or some vendor's blog.
*April Beer married my wife and I she did a great job!
* We weren't big on the idea of unity candles or sand or what have you. We decided to record our marriage in a big family Bible during our ceremony, had our best man and MOH and pastor sign it and all. It was a symbol of our marriage being not just a contract between us, but a covenant between us and the Lord and an establishment of our new family. Our pastor gave a schpiel about how the births of our children (first one due in February! :-) and grandchildren would be recorded in it, etc. It was deeply meaningful to us and a lot of our guests commented on how unique and meaningful it was to them, too!
*How about ditching all the trendy sub-ceremonies and just doing some vows that you actually intend to uphold. Your guests will thank you for the short ceremony. My wedding was 15 minutes from walk in to walk out and involved many of our quirks including my husbands love of video games and my love of DeLoreans.
*So my traditional, Christian ceremony wasn't as meaningful as ones that include these? Interesting.
*"Another couple had each saved the shirt they wore on their first date four years ago" Interesting. How did they both know in their first date that they should save their shirts? If my husband had said to me on our first date "Save this shirt. We're going to need it when we get married in 4 years." I'd think he was nuts.
*You can make it more meaningful by making it a gay marriage and throwing it in the faces of those pathetic morality pushing bible thumpers. The backlash would be entertaining enough.
*How about more time invested into making your relationship/ marriage meaningful and less time bragging on social media about all the things you're planning for your wedding.
*The Christian tradition is all about the incorporation of the community, and having the community bless the new couple. Especially the group blessing - the pastor performing the ceremony is speaking on behalf of the congregation. None of this is new.
*Weddings have become lavish, competitive theatrical performances instead of solemn promises made before God and family. No wonder most end in divorce.
*Weddings are meaningful? I thought they were just expensive parties.
*My groom and I took Holy Communion just prior to our vows, to me it said, "we start this life sin free"....he cheated within two years...but I don't regret the Communion, I held up my vows.
*Your wedding is more meaningful because you custom mix beer? The rest I can go for but this one stood out like a sore thumb.
A meaningful wedding has nothing to do with how much you spend. You won't have a better marriage because you wore the perfect dress, stressed over the catering, chose the right DJ or brought in an expensive hair dresser. A meaningful wedding is lovely but the proof comes later.
*I prefer a small wedding with one person standing up next to each of us and just immediate family and close friends attending. Personally, I'd love to get married in my back yard - it's beautiful in the landscaping!
I'll walk the aisle by myself. Both my parents are in their 80s and I haven't lived under their roof for almost 30 years, so I'm giving myself to my groom.
My groom/I will pay for the wedding ourselves.
No tossing of the bouquet and garter, and not crawling up under my dress to get the garter.
I'd prefer to spend our first night together in our own home. There's just something rather...oogie to me that there have been all sorts of people doin it in the bed of wherever we'd stay. Pull the shades, put a "DON'T YOU DARE DISTURBE US!" sign on the door and we'd never have to worry about early checkout! :-)
Writing our own vows to each other. How can I vow such personal and important things to a man who is becoming my husband and me his wife if it's all words that have been recited by millions before us? I also think writing your own vows really makes couples stop and consider their marriage and what they are promising their spouse.
*I vote none of the above. Weddings have gotten blown way out of proportion as far as costs and creativity. Weddings aren't about Pinterest BS or showing off for everyone you know. It's about the relationship and commitment... everything else is unnecessary. My fiance and I will be having a simple ceremony and a great meal with only our closest family and friends, and those that want to see pictures will have to ask rather than just seeing them on Facebook or some vendor's blog.
*April Beer married my wife and I she did a great job!
RSS Feed
Twitter
Posted in
0 comments:
Post a Comment